Why You Should Read: “20 Powerful Ways That Will Lead Your Team to Greatness” presents a 20 point program of what it takes to become a great leader. As the author states, “You’ve probably heard the proverb that says, “If you want to fast, go alone; if you want to go far go together. Most often, the greatness in a great team starts from the leader, the one who sets the standards.” You should read this article because it will help you answer questions during an interview on steps you take to ensure your team is on the same page as you are and is committed to you as their leader.
Key Points: Each of these areas is dealt with in some detail in the article..
- Give them the freedom to use their talents.
- Give them permission to make mistakes.
- Guide them to work together toward a compelling vision
- Show up as the leader and develop leaders within.
- Give them what they need to be successful.
- Create an environment of fun and enjoyment
- Model accountability and teach responsibility
- Be decisive and purposeful.
- Don’t underestimate the power of EQ.
- Teach them that everything is hard before it’s easy.
- Give them something to learn and grow on.
- Show them fearlessness and encourage them to be brave.
- Earn their respect and give them yours
- Admit that you don’t have all the answers
- Create win-win situations
- Be agile and flexible
- Get personal as you are being professional
- Be honest and encourage candor
- Be accessible and available
- Consistently praise them and always appreciate them
Bottom Line: You know you are going to be asked the leadership questions in a variety of ways when you are interviewing for a new position. In addition, your success will probably depend on your ability to build and lead great teams. This article and the author’s book, The “Leadership Gap: What Gets Between You and Your Greatness”, are fantastic ways to think deeply and communicate crisply about your leadership style.
Robert Kaufman – EIM Central